28 March 2017

THE ACCIDENT THAT DISFIGURED MY FACE

!!!WARNING!!!
THIS POST CONTAINED EXPLICITLY GROSS PHOTO, 
DEFINITELY NOT FOR THE FAINTHEARTED ONES.
YOU'VE BEEN WARNED. DO NOT CONTINUE READING 
IF YOU'RE UNCOMFORTABLE WITH THE TOPIC.

On Thursday, 23 March 2017, Mummy and I had decided to explore the Pulau Ubin island. We had talked about it since last year and only decided to carry out the plan this month (since I was very free too). So, in the early morning, we took off to the Changi Terminal Jetty. Paid $6 in total for the boat fee and spent 20 minutes across the sea to that forested but inhabited island. Once we reached, I helped mummy took a few photos and we went to a seafood restaurant for our meals. 

After our meals, we decided to ride bicycles. We rented 2 bicycles for $12 that lasts the whole day. The brakes were okay for mine. As for Mummy's, one of the brake broke but another one was usable. Since the brake was usable, we ignored the flaw. We rode off on the main road and followed it through wherever it took us. Halfway through, mummy complained that her bicycle was too high even though the seat was set to the lowest. So, we exchanged our bicycles. We continued riding until there was no more main road except for a uphill rocky slope heading towards Chek Jawa Wetlands.

We got off our bicycles and pushed it up the slope. In front of us, there was a family of 3 pushing their bicycles too. The initial upslope was quite steep and I became tired very quickly that I was the last one in the line. Out of the blue, the boy tripped over with his bicycle. Fortunately, he was all right and his dad helped him out from there. They were gone by the time I reached the peak of the upslope and I saw mummy started riding on her bicycle. 

Since I wanted to catch up, I got onto my bicycle too. By the way, I am very sure that I am off the slope already and I thought it was safe for me to ride the bicycle from that point. Little did I know, there was a GENTLE slope in front of me and I saw mummy got past the slope safely. However, I was not able to...

My bicycle suddenly sped on a very high speed and I swore I hadn't cycled much. It was so fast that I started to worry. I put down my left leg and pressed both brakes too. It was useful. The speed continued on until I went passed mummy and....

CRASHED. 
FACE DOWN FIRST. 
SLIGHTLY DRAGGED ON THE ROCKY PATHWAY.

I remembered myself getting up, face numbed. Mummy quickly walked up to me while saying, "You cannot ride so fast!" but was stunned when she saw my face.

FACE FULL OF BLOOD.

I told her I tried to stop and the brakes just didn't work... In my mouth, there were a lot of debris and I thought all of my teeth broke into bits. Thankfully, those debris were tiny stones and sand. I gargled twice with some water and spat out blood. My mouth started to hurt a lot. I knew my condition was bad, so I asked mummy if I am disfigured. She just said, "No... But, a lot of blood."

I got up from the ground and we started to walk a bit. It came to my mind that the distance to the terminal was really far and there was no one nearby who could help us. So, I told my mum to call the police. She took out her phone and realized it had blacked out. What a luck... (To be honest, this part was really weird because her phone could work again when we were in the hospital and it has 46% of battery left. So weird that it had to black out on such a crucial time...) 

I asked her to take out my phone instead. At the same time, I started losing conscious. I kept reminding myself, in the mind, to stay awake. It would be trouble if I faint. I tried pressing 999 with my blurred vision but couldn't get through it. After my vision cleared a bit better, I tried again and it got through. After the call, we wait at that spot. A minute later, a policeman called my phone and reassured that they were on their way.

I only saw this photo after I was in the hospital. 
Reflecting back, mummy said it look like I was acting in a gore movie. 
Haha...Happy Halloween!

Curious of how I looked at that point, I took a photo while I started losing conscious again. Mummy wiped my bloodied face with tissues and wet wipes. It hurt so much when the chemical from the wet wipes touches my wounds, so I told her to stop. Awhile later, several people rode past us at different timings. We told them we had called the police. Some of them offered antibacterial wet wipes, tissues and even their water. I rejected their offers because we had all those things, but were really grateful for their kindness. 

5 minutes or more had passed. I started to worry because I might lose conscious anytime. I tried to call back the policeman and realized my phone was not in service. I quickly turned on the airplane mode and off it. Then, the service signal came back and I made the call. It took them another few minutes before the vehicle was drove to my side. Once they arrived, the painstaking procedure began...

YOUR NAME? IDENTITY CARD? ADDRESS? WHAT HAPPENED? 
(REPORT BACK TO HEADQUARTER)
DO YOU WANT TO TAKE THE POLICE BOAT BACK TO MAIN ISLAND?
FROM THERE, WE CAN CALL FOR THE AMBULANCE TO SEND YOU TO THE NEAREST HOSPITAL. OR, DO YOU WANT US TO DRIVE YOU TO THE TERMINAL?

Because of the extra charges, I decided to let them drive us to the terminal and we'll go to the hospital ourselves. On our way there, the police helped us to inform the bicycle's rental store. Then, they told me to clean up my bloodied face at the toilet first before heading to the terminal. So, they dropped us off outside the toilet. I tried to clean up but just couldn't get rid of the dried blood, and the fresh blood kept oozing out of the wounds. I gave up. 

It was drizzling when we were leaving. I held an umbrella with a hand, and focused another hand on my face to stop the fresh blood from dripping. Once we got to the terminal, the boat drivers were shocked but they quickly sent us back to the main island. I am sure I had scared the other 11 passengers in the boat too. When we arrived at the terminal, I was spared from the spot-check. The staff there offered us the first aid box but I refused. Since I am heading to the hospital, there was no need to use the box. 

The first cab we flagged down rejected us because of my bloodied face. The taxi driver told us to call an ambulance instead. Fortunately, the second cab was willing to drive us. So, we went to the hospital that is nearer to our house. It was a 30-40 minutes ride. By then, I lost quite a bit of blood but was able to keep conscious. 


I spent about two hours or more in the A&E. When I reached there, they gave me simple dressing for the open wounds. Then, a doctor checked on me and sent me for X ray for my left finger and right knee. No fractures, just slight sprains. Afterwards, the nurse cleaned up the wounds and I cried a lot even though they had given me an anesthesia shot. The doctor glued up the wound on the forehead. After that, I was discharged and ready to head home. Supposedly, I had promised my friend to accompany her to an event on Saturday. I couldn't make it, so I took the above photo and sent it to her instead of describing my situation. Well... The road to surgery and recovery will be tough.

No comments:

Post a Comment